The Minister of Human Resources Development, Smt. Smiriti Zubin Irani has expressed grave concern over the shocking incident of 24 engineering students from Hyderabad feared washed away near Mandi in Himachal Pradesh. Smt. Irani has assured the Minister of Education, Himachal Pradesh, Shri Bali of all assistance and support required from the Centre. Smt. Irani also spoke to the faculty of the Engineering College who was accompanying the travelling students group and was present at the accident site. The Principal of the college has been assured of all cooperation at such a tragic and challenging juncture. Our prayers are with the families in this hour of need, she said. 

24 College Students Washed Away in Beas River; 2 Corpses Found

Mandi, Himachal Pradesh,: A shocking incident happened as 24 engineering students, six of them were girls, were washed away in the Beas River near Mandi in Himachal Pradesh. According to the reports, two corpses have been discovered from the Pandoh dam reservoir.

The police said that the episode took place at around 6 in the evening. They were on their way from Shimla to the resort town of Manali for tour. Before the incident, the students were capturing the beauty of nature through the camera. The reason of the incident is a sudden release of a huge amount of water from the reservoir of the Larji dam in the river.

1 bus conductor is also missing. A student, named Ravi Kumar, said “I tried calling out to my friends, but my voice got stuck. They also saw the water level rising, I tried helping few of them, but in a span of six seconds, the water level rose to five or six feet…in front of my eyes, they got drowned.”

According to Kumar, who is also a student of the same college, witnessed the incident. He also added that total 46 members from the VNR Vignan Jyothi Engineering College came to the spot and 24 out of 46 were missing.

The angry locals of the area protested and said that the authorities were failed to control the situation. Locals blamed the authorities that they failed to forward a warning of the destructive incident.

The rescue rangers, including two teams of the National Disaster Response Force as well as deep water divers, reached at the spot. Due to darkness, the searching mission was interrupted. At 5 in the morning, the search operation was resumed.